Baseball opened their weekend set at Texas with a 2-1 win, as Jon Gray improved to 5-1 with 6 2/3 shutout innings. they play two more in Austin this weekend.
Softball also opened Big 12 play with a W. Here’s the quick line from the OU folks after the top ranked softball Sooners did it again, busting Baylor 8-3. .
Attached is the box score from Oklahoma’s 8-3 win over Baylor on Friday night
– Oklahoma used a five-run fifth inning to break open a game that was tied at 2-2
– Lauren Chamberlain hit a 3-run HR in the fifth. It was the 17th of her season and 47th of her career; she is now tied for sixth all-time on the Big 12’s career home run list
– Keilani Ricketts got the win to improve to 17-1 on the year. It was also the 115th of her career, tying Jennifer Stewart (1999-02) for the most in school history
– Ricketts pitched 5.2 innings with 6 hits, 3 runs, 8 strikeouts and 3 walks
– Michelle Gascoigne came on in relief, throwing the final 1.1 innings. She allowed 1 hit and struck out four. She entered against a bases-loaded situation in the sixth, but got a fly out to end the threat.
– OU drew nine walks in the game, including three with the bases loaded
Baylor………….. 002 001 0 – 3 7 2 (29-8, 3-3)
Oklahoma………… 020 051 X – 8 8 1 (32-2, 1-0)
Pitchers: Baylor – Canion, Whitney; Repka, Courtney(5) and Hosack, Clare. Oklahoma –
Gascoigne, Michelle; Ricketts, Keilani(2) and Shults, Jessica.
Win-Ricketts, Keilani(17-1) Loss-Canion, Whitney(15-5) T-2:12 A-1217
HR OU – Chamberlain, Lauren (17).
Weather: Low 60s, partly cloudy