OU’s 5-game win streak fell to Cincinnati’s home court advantage as Bearcats use perfection in closing moments at FT line to edge Sooners 56-55. Oklahoma concludes pre-conference portion of schedule at home Saturday.
Here are more details from OU Athletics Comm…
Cincinnati 56, Oklahoma 55
Dec. 29, 2011
• Cincinnati rallied from a 12-point deficit with six minutes left to hand the Oklahoma just its second loss of the season, 56-55. The Bearcats (10-3) outscored OU (9-2) 19-6 during that stretch. The Sooners led by as many as 12 points twice in the last eight minutes.
• Oklahoma trailed for a total of 44 seconds on the night. UC’s first lead of the second half came with 39 seconds left.
• Cincinnati averaged 99.0 points over its three previous games.
• OU lost despite holding Cincinnati to .279 field goal and .233 (7-for-30) 3-point shooting. The Sooners committed 17 turnovers to UC’s eight and were outscored 16-5 off turnovers.
• Cincinnati went 15-for-20 (.750) from the free throw line while OU went 4-for-9 (.444). UC entered the game shooting .616 from the foul line while the Sooners owned a .733 figure.
• On three consecutive possessions with under three minutes left, Cincinnati missed a 3-pointer but grabbed the offensive rebound and was fouled. The Bearcats went 6-for-6 from the free throw line on those three trips.
• All eight Bearcats who attempted a shot finished the game with a sub-.500 field goal figure.
• Junior forward Andrew Fitzgerald scored a season-high 18 points on 7-for-13 shooting and added nine rebounds and two blocks in his 29 minutes. He has scored at least 16 points in four of the last five games and is averaging 15.6 in those five.
• Junior forward Romero Osby recorded his fourth double-double of the year (second straight) with 12 points and 12 rebounds. He was 6-for-10 from the floor. His 12 boards were his second highest career total. He is averaging 15.0 rebounds over the last two games and has grabbed at least 10 boards six times in 11 outings on the year.
• Junior guard Steven Pledger, who entered the game averaging a Big 12-high 19.8 points, was held to 11 points on 4-for-12 shooting. He was 3-for-8 from 3-point range, giving him eight games of at least three treys in his 10 outings.
• Junior point guard Sam Grooms scored all six of his points after halftime and finished with a game-high nine assists (one shy of his career high). He is averaging 7.7 assists the last three games.
• The Sooners posted a 46-37 rebounding advantage. It was the 10th time in 11 games this year they outboarded their opponent.
• OU concludes its regular season non-conference schedule with a home game against Northwestern State on Saturday at 2 p.m. CT.