From Barons Press Release
Oklahoma City – The Oklahoma City Barons announced today a partnership with the Susan G. Komen Foundation and the Race for the Cure Central and Western Oklahoma Affiliate in downtown Oklahoma City October 15.
The Race for the Cure coincides with the Barons first home game and the two events will be uniquely intertwined. The Barons staff, including members of the Barons Ice Girls and their mascot Derrick will participate in the Race. Race entrants can choose to purchase a pink puck upon registration as well as purchase a ticket to the Barons season opener. For each ticket purchased by Race for the Cure participants via the Race website, the Barons will donate $4 back to the Central and Western Oklahoma Affiliate for breast cancer research.
Once the race is over, the festivities will move to the Cox Convention Center as the Barons will “Pink Out the Rink”. Every person who attends the Barons home opener October 15 will receive a pink t-shirt commemorating the events surrounding the Race for the Cure and Barons first home game of the 2011-12 season. Members of the Barons team will also wear pink ribbon awareness stickers on their helmets.
“We are thrilled to partner with the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure,” said Prodigal LLC owner Bob Funk Jr. “This is a unique opportunity to raise continued awareness for their fight against breast cancer. We look forward to seeing the Cox Convention Center turned a shade of pink for our first home game October 15.”
“I can’t imagine a better way to celebrate Breast Cancer Awareness Month than by partnering with the Oklahoma City Barons on their “Pink Out the Rink” event,” said Lorna Palmer, Executive Director of the Central and Western Oklahoma Affiliate. “This partnership represents what is best about our community, two organizations coming together to help save lives and spread the word about breast cancer awareness. We know this will be a partnership that will only grow in the future.”
The Barons home opener is October 15 at the Cox Convention. Six other dates already confirmed on the schedule are October 28, November 18, December 9 and 31 and January 27. The Barons offer a wide variety of options ranging from full Season Seats to 21, 10 and six-game mini packs. For more information about seats, call 232-GOAL (4625) or by visiting the Barons website at okcbarons.com.
Registration for the Susan G. Komen Oklahoma City Race for the Cure in Oklahoma City has begun. Barons fans interested in participating may visit the Race for the Cure website at http://www.komencentralwesternok.org.
About Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and the Komen Central & Western Oklahoma Affiliate: Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The Central Oklahoma Affiliate is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Since 1994 through events like the Komen Oklahoma City Race for the Cure, the Central Oklahoma Affiliate has invested over $9 million in community breast cancer programs in their 47 county service area. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stays in the Central and Western Oklahoma area. The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research. For more information, call 405-526-CURE(2873) or visit http://www.komencentralwesternok.org.